Staying Safe in Public Places
Nowadays, crimes can happen to anyone and anywhere. Even when you are at home, an intruder can break in and harm you and your loved ones. So when you are out jogging in the park, drinking in a bar, or walking inside a shopping centre, your life could be put in grave danger. For these reasons, you have to ensure your safety at all times.
Here are a few practical tips you can use.
- 1. Avoid deserted alleys or buildings especially when you are alone at night, as these can be the hideouts of robbers or drug users.
- 2. “Don't advertise your valuables - keep them out of sight.” – Brent Council
- 3. Tell a family member, roommate, or friend of your whereabouts if you will go out of your house during the evening to ensure that someone can verify your location in case of an emergency.
- 4. Always call for a licensed taxi service to ensure that it is from a legitimate company.
- 5. When inside a public loo, check the area first; if there is someone inside who makes you uncomfortable, leave the vicinity immediately.
- 6. Bring a legal self-defence gadget, like a rape alarm if you are a woman.
It would also help to learn self-defence through an experienced instructor like Kevin O’Hagan. By doing so, you will be confident that you can protect yourself during adversities.